Hans Fallada's anti-Nazi classic becomes surprise UK bestseller
First English translation of novel about Gestapo hunt for German couple who defied Hitler enjoys record sales
A little-known thriller about the German resistance against the Nazis has become the sleeper hit of the summer – more than 60 years after it was written.
Sunday, 23 May, 2010
- JK Rowling's first novel for adults draws on her struggles with poverty
- John Keats was an opium addict, claims a new biography of the poet
- Bilbo Baggins at 75
- Emma Thompson: By the Book
- ArtsBeat: Stephen King's 'Misery' Back From the Dead in Bucks County
- Pottermore goes back to school with new content
- Elmore Leonard to be honoured by National Book Foundation
- Stranger, young adult novel with gay hero, acquired by publisher
- Books of The Times: ‘This Is How You Lose Her,’ by Junot Díaz
- Neil Young quits drugs and alcohol
Register for an account and review books, comment on articles and build a list of your favourite reviews. Coming soon.