Liz Lochhead appointed as makar, Scotland's national poet
'Inspirational presence in British poetry' is successor to Edwin Morgan
The award-winning poet and playwright Liz Lochhead has been announced as Scotland's new makar, the national poet. She will begin work without delay, when she the opens the new Robert Burns Museum on Friday at his birthplace in Alloway.
Wednesday, 19 January, 2011
- JK Rowling's first novel for adults draws on her struggles with poverty
- John Keats was an opium addict, claims a new biography of the poet
- Bilbo Baggins at 75
- Emma Thompson: By the Book
- ArtsBeat: Stephen King's 'Misery' Back From the Dead in Bucks County
- Pottermore goes back to school with new content
- Elmore Leonard to be honoured by National Book Foundation
- Stranger, young adult novel with gay hero, acquired by publisher
- Books of The Times: ‘This Is How You Lose Her,’ by Junot Díaz
- Neil Young quits drugs and alcohol
Register for an account and review books, comment on articles and build a list of your favourite reviews. Coming soon.